Wednesday 26 August 2020

RETAIL IS STUFFED

TC asked me to post this as our main reader, Richard of Richard's Bass Bag has gotten much older recently and TC is worried that the old joker might have some sort of medical event if he gets too excited. I don't understand why TC asked for me to post it. Perhaps someone can let me know.


For some time now I've been buying things online. This was before the COVID-19 lockdowns and has become a bit of the norm. Most of the major purchases over last few years have been made online:

  • Refrigerator
  • iPhone
  • Security system
  • Garden equipment
  • Software programmes
  • Apple Mac
  • Television
  • Artwork
  • Car
plus regular online purchases of:
  • Wine
  • Tonic water
  • Tea bags
  • Shoes
  • Clothing
  • Other
It gets to the point where the only retail shopping I do is to supermarkets, OP shops and for last-minute and very small items from the larger retailers.

I field and delete importunistic emails from Amazon but know that, if Amazon ever got established in New Zealand, I'd probably order through them.

**************

It was no surprise to learn today that OFFICE MAX  is to close. They blame this on COVID-19 and the fact that businesses that had workers working from home during the lockdown, had less of a demand for their product. I don't really buy this as, way before the emergence of COVID I saw that OFFICE MAX generally had more staff than customers in its stores and was on a 'hiding to nothing'.

They aren't the only one in this situation and won't be the only ones to close their doors. This isn't entirely, or for some, even slightly attributable to COVID-19 and lockdowns, it's just the changing times and the shift from face-to-face retail to online purchasing.

I researched this more than 20 years ago in my working life as online buying was emerging as a 'thing' and what its effect on trading patterns might be. At that stage I was out of retail and into wholesaling and distribution, but, the looming impact for our customers was evident (to me). The result, from the Luddite company I worked for with its mundane leaders was that if it didn't affect their (short term) goals then 'let it go'. Well - it's here: TOO LATE - IT'S HERE




1 comment:

LET'S TALK ABOUT WALLPAPER

 It's been a while since TC called on me but he said that my services were fairly urgently needed. Apparently there's been some feed...